Friday, November 16, 2012

A Stop in London

Let me begin by saying that this entry is long overdue. I need to find some sort of balance between blogging and journaling (and experiencing and sightseeing and working and eating and all that other good stuff.) So, because I have no means of printing photos currently or in the near future, I'll try to make this photo-based, with words to glue the pretty pictures together. Now I guess I'll need to take more pictures. Ah well, that can't be a bad thing, can it?

I began in London. Well, I say began. Actually, I began by taking a nine hour flight across the pond with Virgin Atlantic. Quite a nice flight, with a decent choice of entertainment and some respectable food. Enjoyed talking to my seatmate Phillipa, companionably complaining about the woman behind us... But for all intents and purposes, I began in London.

They're quite British there.

I decided the nine hour layover was long enough to glimpse the city, even if I did have to begin and end in Heathrow. Two hours in customs and two in security left me five for exploration.
These names--how do they happen??
OK, an hour's ride in and another back on the tube left me three for exploration. Fair enough.
They still have telephone booths! D'awww...
Hey, Lord Nelson! I think it's interesting that anyone would choose to place a statue in such a way that the viewer can never actually make out its features. Like it's a monument to his victory rather than to the man himself--or something? In any case, the column is freaking huge.
laskdjglkasdj--It's the Thames!
Zoomed out a bit...
And yes, at least half my excitement at these landmarks is due to Doctor Who. Clearly I need to get out more.




No comments:

Post a Comment